A Penitent Blogger

Mindful of my imperfections, seeking to know Truth more deeply and to live Love more fully.

Quid sum miser tunc dicturus? Quem patronum rogaturus? Cum vix iustus sit securus?
Recordare, Iesu pie, Quod sum causa tuae viae: Ne me perdas illa die...

Friday, August 22, 2008

Trust in the middle of death

The image is stark.

A dry, empty plain with nothing but the bones of the dead.

So begins today’s first reading (Ezekiel 37:1-14).

But even there, in the midst of dusty death, beyond hope, the prophet Ezekiel trusts in the Lord.

He asked me:
Son of man, can these bones come to life?


I answered,
“Lord GOD, you alone know that.”

Then he said to me:
Prophesy over these bones, and say to them:
Dry bones,
hear the word of the LORD!
Thus says the Lord GOD to these bones:
See! I will bring spirit into you,
that you may come to life.


No matter what is happening around us, may you and I always put our lives and our trust in the hands of the Lord.